Date published: Monday 2nd December 2019 3:14
Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte has said that he hopes to return from his serious knee injury within the next two months.
The Frenchman is recovering following surgery he had on the issue, which he suffered in a 4-0 Premier League win over Brighton in August.
City have struggled defensively since losing Laporte and currently sit 11 points adrift of league leaders Liverpool following a 2-2 draw with Newcastle last weekend.
Speaking to The National, however, the centre-back provided a positive update on his comeback hopes.
[My recovery] is going very well,” the 25-year-old said. “Still I need time but I hope as soon as possible I can come back and play with my teammates.
“I can’t say when exactly but more or less one month-and-a-half to two months.”
Laporte was also asked about City’s title chances this season having fallen further behind their rivals at the weekend, saying: “Yes, of course [City can win the title].
“Last year was quite similar when [Liverpool] had a similar lead but we still have time this year to recover, to catch them and to again try to win the Premier League, so we hope we can do that.
“We need to make sure we work a lot and don’t lose any more games.”
The 16-year-old – who is already capped at youth level by France – has also made his Ligue 1 and Champions League debuts for his club side.
According to 90min, the club are aware they are fighting a losing battle to keep hold of Cherki, despite the attacker being tied down to 2022 with a new contract he signed recently.
Cherki’s style of play has been likened to that of former Lyon stars Hatem ben Arfa and Karim Benzema.