Paper Talk: Dybala comments hit Tottenham for six
Date published: Tuesday 26th November 2019 8:52
Tottenham appear to have suffered a striker blow ahead of the January transfer window, while Newcastle are scouting a prolific attacker, according to Tuesday’s newspapers.
DYBALA DEALS TOTTENHAM A FATAL BLOW
Paulo Dybala appears to have dealt Tottenham a big blow to renewing their hopes of signing him in the January transfer window.
The Argentine hitman had appeared to have been close to a £64.4million switch to Spurs on deadline day over the summer, only for the deal to break down.
But with just over a month until the winter window opens, Jose Mourinho was being tipped to follow predecessor Mauricio Pochettino in trying to strike a deal for the 26-year-old.
However, Dybala appears to have changed his tune about life under Maurizio Sarri in Turin, having previously struggled for game time under the former Chelsea boss.
“The way the team is led has changed,” he told El Pais, as per Football Italia. “[Sarri] has a completely different way of understanding the game.
“For me, and maybe even the rest of the attackers, it’s more fun.
“We keep the ball more and we’re creating lots of chances. This gives you chances to take and do something different because you know you will get another go.
“You learn to play quickly and attack all the time. There are games where we create 20 chances. You can only imagine what this means for a striker.”
Those comments appear to have ruled the attacker out of a move to north London in January, although it’s unclear at this stage if Mourinho will even look to add another striker to his squad – given that there are other areas of concern for the Portuguese.
AND THE REST
Juventus are planning to rival Real Madrid for Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen and will look to talk to the Dane when he is free to talk to other clubs in January, according to reports (Daily Mail)
Unai Emery is facing criticism because of his decision to cut Arsenal’s live scouting of opposition teams in favour of presiding over a video-led approach himself (Daily Mail)
Marco Silva will limp on as Everton head coach when he takes training at Finch Farm on Tuesday (Daily Mail)
Liverpool legends Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are set to captain teams next summer in the last ever match to be played at the club’s Melwood training ground (Daily Mail)
David Villa has backed Manchester City for the Champions League due to Pep Guardiola’s ‘obsession’ (Daily Mirror)
West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini has held crisis talks with the club’s board – with Chris Wilder, Sean Dyche and Chris Hughton being considered as possible replacements (Daily Mirror)
Newcastle United are one of the teams to have scouted prolific Inter striker Gabriel Barbosa, who is currently on loan at Flamengo (The Shields Gazette)
Watford boss Quique Sanchez Flores could be 90 minutes from the sack after the Hornets cancelled a Christmas function for him (Daily Mirror)
Neil Critchley, Liverpool’s U23 head coach, will have the biggest night of his career when he takes the first team for the Carabao Cup quarter-final at Aston Villa (The Sun)
Manchester United are closing in on a world-record shirt sponsorship deal – with a Chinese company (The Sun)
David Moyes and Mark Hughes are the central figures in a boardroom battle over who will replace Marco Silva (The Sun)
Manchester United are set to trigger Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s one-year contract extension in the coming weeks (The Sun)
Pep Guardiola has said Mikel Arteta is destined to become a leading manager as he admitted that Manchester City may face a fight to keep the Spaniard at the club (Daily Telegraph)
Celtic winger Lewis Morgan is wanted by his former club St Mirren as Jim Goodwin eyes up a January loan swoop (Scottish Sun)
Hearts have made their move to convince Daniel Stendel to join them instead of waiting for a job in England (Scottish Sun)
Incoming Dave Cormack has refused to rule out Aberdeen remaining at Pittodrie (Daily Record)